John D. Wiltshire-Gordon
For the academic year 2020-2021, I was a Visiting Assistant Professor at Williams College.
Previously, I was a post-doctoral fellow at the University of Wisconsin, Madison working with
Fall of 2016 I was a post-doc at ICERM. I have accepted a non-academic job. Here is my CV.
I study the representation theory of categories with applications in algebraic topology. I like configuration spaces, category theory, and computer algebra.
The prototypical situation: a category C acts on a collection of spaces X_c by transformations, and so the induced maps on homology form a C-module. My thesis, completed in 2016 at the University of Michigan under David Speyer, gives theory and algorithms for working with C-modules. I explain how to write a C-module using a presentation matrix and how to use that matrix to compute numbers associated to the module.
ExactCouples -- spectral sequences by Massey's method of exact couples; a Macaulay2 package
Click a title to visit arXiv.
- Configuration spaces of axis-aligned boxes. In preparation. (with Maya Banks)
- On the tails of FI-modules. September 2019. (with Peter Patzt)
- Configuration space of a product. August 2018.
- Algebraic structures on cohomology of configuration spaces of manifolds with flows. August 2015. (with Jordan S. Ellenberg)
- Uniformly Presented Vector Spaces. June 2014.
- On computing the eventual behavior of an FI-module over the rational numbers. Math. Comp. 89 (2020), no. 326, 2985--3001.
- Models for Configuration Space in a Simplicial Complex. Colloq. Math., 155(1):127–139, 2019.
- Specht Polytopes and Specht Matroids. January 2017. (with Alexander Woo and Magdalena Zajaczkowska) Combinatorial algebraic geometry, 201–228, Fields Inst. Commun.
- Categories of Dimension Zero. Proc. Amer. Math. Soc. 147 (2019), pp. 35-50.
- Robust coin flipping. Advances in cryptology—EUROCRYPT 2012, 172–194, Lecture Notes in Comput. Sci., 7237, Springer, Heidelberg, 2012. (with Gene S. Kopp)
- Word-Induced Measures on Compact Groups. February 2011. (with Gene S. Kopp)
- November 5, 2019. Boston, MA. Northeastern University Topology Seminar
- October 8, 2019. Ithaca, NY. Cornell U. topology seminar
- July 1, 2019. Berkeley, CA. Representation Stability Summer School
- April 28, 2019. Chicago, IL. Midwest Representation Stability Research Meeting
- April 11, 2019. Ann Arbor, MI. U. of Michigan Math Club
- April 10, 2019. Ann Arbor, MI. U. of Michigan Geometry and Topology RTG Seminar
- March 12, 2019. Chicago, IL. U. of Chicago Geometry and Topology Seminar
- November 30, 2018. Madison, WI. U. Wisconsin Algebraic Geometry Seminar
- September 29, 2018. Syracuse, NY. Route 81 conference
- August 14, 2018. Ann Arbor, MI. Michigan Representation Stability Week
- April 14, 2018. Madison, WI. Macaulay2 workshop
- March 28, 2018. West Lafayette, IN. Purdue Topology Seminar
- March 26, 2018. Indianapolis, IN. IUPUI Topology Seminar
- January 17, 2018. Oberwolfach, Germany. MFO workshop on Topology of Arrangements and Representation Stability. Slides
- December 11, 2017. Madison, WI. East High School
- April 24, 2017. Madison, WI. U. Wisconsin Combinatorics Seminar.
- April 2, 2017. Bloomington, IN. AMS Sectional Meeting.
- March 27, 2017. Madison, WI. Madison Math Circle
- November 14, 2016. Providence, RI. Brown U. Algebra Seminar.
- July 1, 2016. San Jose, CA. AIM workshop on Representation Stability.
- April 6, 2016. Banff, AB. BIRS workshop on Free Resolutions, Representations, and Asymptotic Algebra. Slides Video
- December 4, 2015. Cambridge, MA. MIT Infinite-Dimensional Algebra Seminar.
- November 18, 2015. West Lafayette, IN. Purdue U. Geometry and Topology Seminar.
- November 11, 2015. Chicago, IL. U. of Chicago Geometry and Topology Seminar.
- October 14, 2015. East Lansing, MI. Michigan State U. Geometry and Topology Seminar.
- October 4, 2015. Chicago, IL. AMS Special Session on Combinatorial and Geometric Representation Theory. Slides
- April 24, 2015. Minneapolis, MN. U. of Minnesota Combinatorics Seminar. Slides
- November 17, 2014. Houston, TX. Rice U. Topology Seminar.
- November 3, 2014. Berkeley, CA. UC Berkeley Combinatorics Seminar.
- October 28, 2014. Stanford, CA. Stanford U. Topology Seminar.
- October 2, 2014. Ann Arbor, MI. U. of Michigan Topology Seminar.
- February 3, 2014. Los Angeles, CA. U. of Southern California Algebra Seminar.
- January 17, 2014. Ann Arbor, MI. U. of Michigan Combinatorics Seminar.
- April 16, 2012. Cambridge, United Kingdom. EUROCRYPT 2012. YouTube